~Smiles~ Unlimited!!

Welcome to my space!!! Leave a smile and take a smile with you...

 
At my Place
Reading
life-of-pi
Garaj Baras -
Friday, March 23, 2007
Main aur meri Lapie aksar yeh baatein karte hain,
Agar sangeet na hota tho kaisa hota,
yeh duniya kitni bejaan aur sooni si lagti,
Zindagi kitni adhoori si hoti,
Main aur meri Lapie aksar yeh baatein karte hain...
(For the ignorant, Lapie=Laptop)

I LOVE music...no, actually, I am obsessed with good music. If I am not listening to music, I will be humming (every nook in my bathroom is waqif with this talent of mine) and other times I play soundtracks in my head, an oddity of mine (ah haa just when you thought you knew everything about me)…I like anything that has soul stirring lyrical values, words move me.. I can listen to a melodious voice reciting words that pierce your soul till the cows come home..

So, what am I listening to right now? Ghazals by the indisputable Ghazal King, Jagjit Singh.
He is awesome – his amazing voice blows me away every time I listen to him. The range of emotions he flaunts in his ghazals are unmatchable. Listening to his tracks invoke all sorts of emotions in you. Here is one elegant ghazal from the album I have been listening to, Insight –

Garaj baras pyaasi dharti par phir paani de maulaa
chidiyon ko daanaa, bachchon ko gud-dhaanii de maulaa

do aur do ka jod hamesha chaar kahaan hota hai
soch samajh waalon ko thodi naadaani de maulaa

phir roshan kar zehar kaa pyaalaa chamakaa nai saliben
jhoothon ki duniyaa mein sach ko taabaani de maulaa

phir moorat se baahar aakar chaaron aur bikhar jaa
phir mandir ko koi meera deewaani de maulaa

tere hote koi kisi ki jaan kaa dushman kyon ho
jeene waalon ko marne kii aasaanii de maulaa

A soulful rendition - incredible lyrics by Nida Fazli and the velvety voice of the maestro himself... An absolute treat for the ears.

Labels:

posted by All Smiles!! @ 8:50 AM  
12 Comments:
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    soch samajh waalon ko thodi naadaani de maulaa, kya baat hai
    I love it and yes us dard bhari aawaaz mein har lafz poore nikhar par aa jaata hai

    As the famous couple goes....
    Hai aur bhi duniya mein sukhanwar bahot acche
    Kahte hain ke ghalib ka hai andaze bayan aur
    I want to rephrase it to
    Kahte hain ke Jagjit ka hai andaze bayan aur....

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rajitah main ghazal mein (read jagjit mein) itna kho gayi ke music par comment karna bhool gayi :-(

    I grew up with this advise from dad, YAY DAD - "listen to music AND read poetry atleast once in a week, will keep you close to your emotional self", how true 8-)

    Well Music I say is the food that feeds our souls, not to say that no music no soul, no music no alive soul ;-)

    Jhooming with:
    Jiya dhadak dhadak, jiya dhadak dhadak jaaye 0 Yay...0 Yay.....

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    arrey Sadiya, yeh itni beautiful gazal ki baat karte hue yeh 'jiya dhadak dhadhak' kahan se aa gaya ??

    I first started listening to JS after my youngest sister got addicted to him but you are responsible for making him my favourite too ( what with copying so many of his gazals and passing on the cds to me !! ) Thanks girl !

    What I am listening to on radio in the background - aaj humne dil ka har kissa tamam kar diya, hum bhi pagal ho gaye, unko bhi pagal kar diya.... Rajitha, oh Rajitha we love you !!

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Beefybob7 said…

    Don't know about love but you are certainly talented.

    What does the family think about your singing?

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger faith said…

    wow my kinda post *smiles* me too think same sometimes ki agar music nahi hota romantic.. dard bhare gane nahi hote to mera kya hota :P yes, no doubt iam a big fan of Jagjit singh too..

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger me said…

    evergreen jagjit singh n on top of that lines by Nida fazli..deadly combo...

    right now me listening " jab us julf ki baat chali..." by farida khanam...

    listening to ghazals is an addiction..I never want to come out of!! newhere..netime...ghazals rock!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger me said…

    hey all smiles

    u have been tagged by me!

    naah I wont take all smile turning into a frown..

    be a sport n do it!

    gud girl
    :))

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger All Smiles!! said…

    Nice one Sadiya!! woh dard aur kashish that echoes in his singing is what him makes him soo special.

    Ditto Ditto Abha :).. Tera jaisa yaar kahan..kahan yaisa yaarana :)

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger All Smiles!! said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger All Smiles!! said…

    Welcome back Bob!! As long as the singing is confined to the bathroom, they are totally safe :)

    Hi Faith - Glad to know you are a fan of JS but again who in the right mind isn't, hai na :)?

    Hi Kavya - true, Ghazals are quite intoxicating..they ROCK!!
    Thanks for the tag, will certainly take it up with a smile :)Gud girl jo hoon :)

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Ajnabi said…

    hey all-smiles,

    this is one of the best gazal from jagjit singh. probably you would also like to enjoy their "Beyond times" and "Echos" album.

    thanks for your complements for translation....

    i am trying to get some virtualspace for all of us on the net... soon...

    take care

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger All Smiles!! said…

    Hey Ajnabi... I have almost all his albums in my collection...

    Virtual Space on the net!! that sounds very exciting..:)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: All Smiles!!
Home: Auckland, New Zealand
About Me: A typical Cancerian and a moderate friendly person with frequent mood swings (everyone close to me can vouch for that :))
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
I Visit
Links

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 ~Smiles~ Unlimited!! Template by Isnaini Dot Com