~Smiles~ Unlimited!!

Welcome to my space!!! Leave a smile and take a smile with you...

 
At my Place
Reading
life-of-pi
Might a dark horse steal the show this time?
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

world cup

The 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup is currently taking place in the West Indies from March 13 to April 28, 2007. There will be a total of 51 matches played at the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup, which is three fewer than at the 2003 World Cup, despite the two extra teams taking part. It will be contested by 16 nations divided into four groups of four teams. The top two teams from each group will then compete in a "Super 8" format, similar to the previous "Super 6" format, from which the semi-finalists will be decided. The Greenfield Stadium, Trelawny, Jamaica hosted the Opening Ceremony on 11 March.
Will India Win The World Cup?
Cricket World Cup Trophy
Good news for all the cricket lovers, The 2007 World Cup will not, after all, be a one-horse race. After dominating the cricket season for nearly a decade since winning the World Cup in 1999 the Australians look vulnerable this year. It might be cruel to call this good news as its fans are undoubtedly hurting but let's admit it, there's also an extra thrill in seeing a cocky and arrogant champion lose his crown. The King from Down Under is not expected to abdicate the throne willingly so lets not expect the Aussies to turn over and play dead.

Two teams to watch out for are South Africa and New Zealand. The former have, ever since their re-induction into international cricket after decades of apartheid-related boycott, been reduced in earlier Cups to the bridesmaid but never the bride. But the law of averages and the law of cricketing balance favors them this time. New Zealand, if it keeps current form going, can be a handful for any team on any day at any venue. And as for West Indies, to rely on a single batting genius - Brian Lara- to carry West Indies through a six-week tournament is just asking too much, don’t you think?

Pakistan teems with raw sporting talent and those mercurial men in green are quite capable of springing a surprise if they keep their heads calmly together. That's a big if, though.

India is still the strongest team on paper, but cricket sadly is played in the outdoors. On paper, India boasts of at least three of the highest batting averages in One-Dayers - those of Sachin Tendulkar, Saurav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid. Virender Sehwag, Mahender Singh Dhoni and Yuvraj Singh are known for quick scoring. Their strike rates are up there among the best in the business. Why do I sound a bit skeptical? Quite simply because I'm not sure the present bunch has enough all-rounders to tilt the scales in their favour.

Cricket, like life, can turn out to be a graveyard for grumpy predictions. That is its charm and its poetry. Lets hope and pray Rahul Dravid lifts that Cup on April 28.

Wishing the Indian cricket team all the best in the World Cup matches….

Labels:

posted by All Smiles!! @ 9:44 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am an Optimist - so there I go...
    This is the best team India could have picked, our team is also a perfect blend of youth and experience, that means - everything is doable.

    So India ALL THE BEST, see you at the victory ceremony Inshallah!!!

    And yes last but not the least, some wishes (cheeky) to our second home team too - Go New Zealand!!!!

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    finally, I am able to comment ! I have been trying for last two days and your blog wont let me :-( I thought I will check one more time this morning before letting you know.

    I wish the Indian team good too but I am not holding my breath as far as their winning the cup goes. I am not as optimist as Sadiya ;-)

    I wanted to do a post on it too but I still havent decided about my new blog address !

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Baatasaari said…

    UofI is screening all the games for free here :)... hope to catch the Ind-Ban match on 17... you all have fun watching there... I have no expectations on the outcome though :)

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Ajnabi said…

    I think India will go to finals, at least.

    Other strong teams i consider are West Indies and South Africa.

    May the best team wins the World Cup...!

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger Pritika Gupta said…

    Just keeping my fingers cross for india team

     
  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger me said…

    chalo dil se...shout for India!!..

    I have a feeling we will see our team back with the cup

    all my wishes for them..:)

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good words.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: All Smiles!!
Home: Auckland, New Zealand
About Me: A typical Cancerian and a moderate friendly person with frequent mood swings (everyone close to me can vouch for that :))
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
I Visit
Links

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 ~Smiles~ Unlimited!! Template by Isnaini Dot Com